Friday, October 01, 2004

The skies clear

Later yesterday (Wed) the sun managed to find its way through the clouds and provided me with a lovely view of the Alster (which my hotel "blicks" onto).

In the evening I walked into the centre of town and went to the concert by the NDR Choir. What a change from the Berlin group -- this choir is obviously professional (or at least semi-). The concert was part of a season of "Italy in Hamburg" and the concert included works by Gabrieli, Monteverdi, Nono, Dallapiccola and a new work by a composer whose name I have temporarily forgotten.

To cut it short it was a terrific concert -- the group was about 38 singers, divided for many of the pieces into two groups. In particular the Dallapiccola was very impressive: settings of two Michelangelo sonnets they were quite tonal and very dramatic. I think I would like to explore his work more. The Gabrieli and Monteverdi were also excellently controlled -- the conductor looked a bit like the young Tim Brook-Taylor, but we won't hold that against him.

This morning dawned bright and clear and I have spent most of the day in the train; this internet session (in Schiphol airport) is so far the most expensive I have encountered at 6Euros for 30 minutes. Gasp!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home