Monday, September 20, 2004

Reaching a Peak

On Saturday I booked out of the B&B and made my way to St Pancras Station which was completely chaotic as they are redeveloping, which made it extremely difficult to find anything. There was a huge queue for the ladies' toilet with a guard actively discouraging women from joining it.

The train ride to Derby was uneventful, if cramped. I arrived in Derby and was wandering along the platform desperately looking for someone who might be looking for me when I heard a voice shout "Frank!" from the opposite platform. Brian and Rosemary figured it might be easier to spot someone looking lost from a distance; clever thinking, really.

Rosemary and I had a great chat last night about the family; I produced Geraldine's family tree (R soon found at least one omission) and the photos Ian had provided, and R brought out lots of pictures and an interesting family history. She was very amused when I told her about my attitude as an "assertive pedestrian", saying it sounded exactly like her grandfather, John Johnson. We then went on to talk about other family traits.

Today (Sunday) Brian drove us around some of the Peak district -- we walked on a public footpath near Over Haddon, lunching at a pub with a fabulous view before continuing the walk through muddy fields and among assorted sheep and cattle back to the car. We then took the (very) long way home through some very beautiful countryside.

An extremely enjoyable day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home