Sunday, September 26, 2004

The surprise

On thursday afternoon I took myself off to Amsterdam, but unfortunately the weather was determined to ruin my enjoyment as it rained most of the afternoon. I did manage to wander round and reacquaint myself with the city, which was fun.

I met Brent at the station and we wandered down to the church stuffing our faces with frites with mayonnaise (where are those cholesterol tablets?). I stopped at a hole in the wall to get some more Euros when Brent whispered, "There's John O'Donnell". I couldn't get out of the way so we had a chat and I swore him to secrecy.

Then we wandered down the street to a cafe to have a coffee, and who should we bump into but Susie F and Niki E. They were also sworn to secrecy.

We made our way to the Engelse Kerk, which is situated inside a gated community (with only 2 gates). Julie was doing front of house and I leant down and said, "I'll have two please".

I wish I had photographed the look on her face. She squealed then grabbed me and pushed me bodily into the ante-room where the choir were waiting. There were many screams and much hugging and kissing (but no mezzuzzas).

Then they went out and sang magnificently. It was just a pity there was an audience of about 20 there.

Afterwards Brent, Stuart, Peter C and I went out for cake and drinks and B and I jumped on a train back to Amsterdam around midnight. In all, a very satisfying jape.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home