Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Late again

It's been over a week since my last posting and I'm now home and back at work, alas.

After Edinburgh I headed off to St Andrews where I met my other second cousin, Audrey, and her husband Robin. They looked after me wonderfully and Audrey and I spent much time going over the Johnson family history. She also gave me a couple of disks of Johnson images, though I haven't yet had a chance to look at them.

The train trip back to London was a nightmare: the train was late arriving at Leuchars and had to wait for nearly an hour at Edinburgh as it had a faulty engine. And it was packed. We didn't get into Kings Cross until after 11pm. I waved at Durham cathedral as it floated by -- no zooming on British rail.

On Saturday and Sunday I met up with Leigh and we wandered and talked. It was great seeing him in London where we had spent so much time together in 1976 (goodness!).

Saturday evening saw Greg and me at the season-opening concert at the Wigmore Hall: Ann Murray and Steven Davislim singing Schoenberg's chamber arrangement of Das Lied von der Erde conducted by Paul Kildea. It was a great concert. The following Tuesday we returned to hear Cédric Tiberghien play Schoenberg, Brahms and Beethoven -- with a complete Beethoven sonata as encore.

On Monday and Tuesday I attended the Internet Librarian conference which had its boring bits (what conference doesn't). The sessions on Tuesday were much more interesting than Monday's.

The return flight left on Wednesday evening (22.30) and was uneventful, if long.

I stepped out into the airport to find that Bruce had kindly come to pick me up. It turned out that it was his second trip as, because of my incorrect information, he had also come out the previous day. Sorry, Bruce, and thank you.

It's good to be home and by the end of this week I will have forgotten I was even away...

Tuesday night was my first rehearsal for the next Gombert concert which I'm singing in as Stuart T is still away -- I can't do the last concert for Gombert or Gloriana as I will be in Adelaide for the Ring. What a lucky boy I am this year: The Trojans and The Ring in the one year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home