Thursday, February 03, 2005

WTF?

LAST NIGHT was one of the most extraordinary night's I've experienced. I don't think I slept at all, although I probably did manage a few winks. The rain and wind did not let up until the sun rose, when everything went very strangely quiet. Quiet, that is, except for the house and car alarms that were going off all around the area. During the night I lay in bed (under my doona - in February!) listening to the howling wind outside and a steady drip, drip somewhere inside -- however I've worked out that the leak is over the shower base. How lucky is that?

We've just had the wettest day in recorded history; that is, the wettest day in over 150 years: Melbourne received around 120mm of rain in 24 hours. This morning chaos is everywhere: trains on most lines are disrupted (luckily Epping not too badly), the Southgate tram depot is flooded affecting the 109, 112 and 96 lines, the usual roads in South Melbourne and North Melbourne are under water, and the Yarra is rising. I wonder how high it will be in a day or two.

Luckily everything had eased off when it came time to come to work.; the train I caught was packed but I made it without any hassles. Let's hope it stays dry for me to get home again later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home