Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Where is Mozart/Haydn?

LAST NIGHT was the first rehearsal for Sunday's Gombert concert in Ballarat. The program, which I've probably mentioned before, is Haydn's Nelson mass and Mozart's Vespers. It was nice to be singing again, I wonder what's on the menu for Gloriana this year?

We sang straight through both works, with JOD accompanying on the piano, before having a break after which we spent some time working on the Mozart. The Haydn is a fun piece and not terribly challenging; the Credo is not very interesting. The Mozart is much more interesting; it's an odd experience singing his setting of Dixit dominus after having done the Handel so recently. Such a completely different approach.

In Goodall time

LATELY I'VE been listening to the ENO/Goodall recording of Twilight of the gods in bed. It's in English.

Initially I was concerned about its glacial speeds, getting the sensation on occasion that the whole thing was going to grind to a halt. But as the piece progressed, I realised that, as I could actually understand what was going on, it was all starting to make sense. I'm not convinced that these speeds would work in German, and I still need to hear more of it, more often, but I'm starting to understand why so many people regarded this production recording so highly.

Rita Hunter and Alberto Remedios as Brünnhild and Siegfried are glorious; I'm less keen on Aage Haugland's Hagen which isn't menacing, or dark, enough for my liking. And occasionally the two sides of the orchestra are not completely together, though this effect is probably exaggerated by my listening on headphones which brings everything up close.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home