Tuesday, February 01, 2005

They're off and running...

LAST NIGHT was the first rehearsal for Gloriana thus starting my six week marathon of rehearsals. This concert has a terrific program: a mass by Sheppard, motets by Byrd and Weelkes, some Purcell and finishing with some later English works. Luckily I've sung a good proportion of it before which will make the next month or so a lot easier in terms of learning notes.

Unfortunately, because of work commitments, I will miss the first of the Gombert rehearsals tonight; I do hope the Pärt is not too tedious. Still, I'll have the Bach to keep me amused. But I don't know yet when rehearsals start for that.

On Saturday morning I picked up a parcel which was waiting for me at the Post Office; it was the vocal score for Marshner's Der Vampyr which I ordered a few weeks ago. When I had some time I sat down with the score and listened to one of the recordings I have. I know Pfitzner had a hand in revisions in the 1920s so he may be responsible, but there are a number of cuts in the work on the recording I heard. Not major ones, and thinking about them I realise that they probably make very good sense in performance. But now of course I'll just have to listen to the other (three?) versions I own and make comparisons. It's great stuff so I won't really mind. Perhaps I should send off for a score for Hans Heiling - it is after all supposed to be his masterwork.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home