Saturday, January 08, 2005

The music man

ANDREW FORD is terrific. I've just got back from doing the shopping and while I was away I was listening to this morning's Music show. At this time of the year it's made up of highlights from the previous year. This morning the highlight was his wonderful interview with Gavin Bryars, a fascinating composer and equally fascinating man.

The point about Ford is that he truly is a musical polymath (I don't know about broader subjects but have my suspicions that he has a good knowledge about most things); he has the ability to talk intelligently on music from almost any genre or period. And he gets marvellous, interesting interviews out of the most diverse people. I'm sure he does a huge amount of research, but there's no denying that the man's own knowledge is encyclopaedic. He's also a bloody good broadcaster with that direct delivery the best of them have - you feel he's talking just to you. I hope the ABC appreciates the gem they have in him.

Brent and Arnoud

LAST NIGHT I went to the Metropolitan hotel in North Melbourne to catch up with Brent and Arnoud who are in Oz for a few weeks. It was great to see B again and finally to meet A; there were quite a few people there including B's sister, father and uncles -- as well Debby S and Kathryn P arrived, mainly to see Jonathan W who was coming later. I left before he, or Vaughan, arrived. I hope to see B and A again before they return to the Netherlands, perhaps for a meal; I hardly had a chance to talk to A and would really like to get to know him better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home