Thursday, February 10, 2005

Pärtly interesting

SATURDAY'S surprise party went off brilliantly -- Rod was genuinely surprised. This is all the more amazing as the party had originally been planned for December and had to be postponed. No-one blabbed. On Saturday he was told he was going to a Gombert trivia night; we all stood around near the door while his family and friends hid inside the hall. Then when he entered the hall the cry of "surprise" went up. A triumph of organisation.

On Sunday I went to Mum's as usual; I don't normally mention it but I wouldn't want my regular reader to think I didn't see her every weekend. She's much the same but last week went back to work at the shop -- an opportunity shop in Malvern where she helps out two mornings a week. As usual she cooked me a delicious meal followed by yummy strawberries with ice-cream. She certainly eats well.

Monday evening was Gloriana rehearsal. The program for this concert is terrific; I particularly like the Sheppard mass, but the rest is pretty good, too.

On Tuesday morning AH came to fit the new anti-burglar window locks. He also tightened up a few odd things around the place, like the back door handle and the towel rails, and put some graphite in the front door lock. It's so nice to have a man around the house.

After eating with Tat we were off to Gombert in the evening: the Pärt Kanon Pokajanen is actually more interesting that I was expecting, I think DG in particular will enjoy it. However, it is made more difficult by the text in Cyrillic; luckily there is also roman transliteration.

At the rehearsal DS was talking about the St John's St Matthew Passion - the rehearsal dates have been organised; they're all on Thursday evenings so I will have to miss about twenty minutes or so because of German classes, but I'm sure it'll be OK.

I'm working again this evening most of which will be taken up with training the new boy - he seems a quick learner so I hope I won't have to do too many more of the split shifts (which I have to do tomorrow). This afternoon I walked to Carlton where I had to pick up some material for work. It was a good day for walking, overcast and not too hot (well, not hot at all), and I had a nice little amble around Reading's before setting off for the city and, eventually, work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home