Friday, February 04, 2005

Non-whistling Rufus

LAST NIGHT B, P, L and I headed down to St Kilda where, after a yummy meal at Cicciolina (I had linguini with Atlantic salmon), we met up with M&D at the National Theatre to hear a concert given by Kate & Anna McGarrigle, and Kate's children Rufus and Martha Wainwright.

It was not the best organised, nor indeed the best sounding concert I've ever been to, but there was some great stuff including a number of the McGarrigles' old songs (which I actually remembered) and some interesting songs from young Rufus. It was, as he said, rather like a parlour concert - all a bit thrown-together and no real structure.

Although he sang Gay messiah I'm afraid I have absolutely no appreciation of the song as his dodgy diction combined with the atrocious sound meant I could understand perhaps one word in five. His songs do display a use of interesting harmonies of the sort not often encountered in popular music. His voice is strong with a wide range and he uses it intelligently; but I wouldn't call it the most beautiful noise I've heard.

It was an enjoyable night, not least for catching up with M&D after too long a break.

IN OTHER news: P&B have gone to Mornington for the weekend gallery hopping and generally relaxing. I'm off to a surprise 60th party tomorrow night (no names, no packdrill) and should really do some serious house cleaning as well, but we'll see about that.

At least it's stopped raining for the moment, although it's still not particularly warm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home