Monday, November 08, 2004

Monday

LAST NIGHT saw another rehearsal for the Beethoven, though this time we had the pleasure of being conducted by Brett Kelly. He seemed very pleased with the group, which to my mind is still a bit small. We had five tenors last night and there are at least two more (perhaps more) to come.

I left early (Stuart having arrived back from his trip on Saturday meant that I was superfluous) as JOD was continuing on to rehearse the rest of the "let's speed-read a concert" -- the Brahms offering.

I've been making a spectacle of myself lately, giggling on public transport while listening to Saturday night Fry, a very silly six-part radio show Stephen Fry did for the BBC in the late '80s. JW kindly gave me a set of mp3 files which I dumped onto the Not-an-iPod. I must look out some more in a similar vein.

Side by side

ON SUNDAY night we all went to dinner at Cicciolina in St Kilda (delicious) followed by Hats off for Sondheim, this year's Equity Aids fund-raising concert at the National Theatre.

And what a wonderful evening it was - a showcase for some extraordinary Melbourne talent. It climaxed in a series of songs for leading ladies: Robyn Arthur's Ladies who lunch, Nancye Hayes in Leave you, Helen Morse's half-spoken Send in the clowns, Amanda Muggleton's fabulous Broadway baby, and finishing with Anne Phelan's amazing performance of I'm still here. Breathtaking.

In between were performances of the familiar and the less well-known including an original spin on Hello, little girl by Eddie Perfect and a clever double-bass player.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home