Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Border defences are working (NOT)*

LAST NIGHT'S rehearsal was at the Iwaki auditorium at the ABC so Tat drove to my place and we took the train into Flinders St and grabbed a quick meal at Southgate. She brought me two bales of pea straw (nicely starting to rot and smelling wonderful) which I managed to trundle around the back on the wheelbarrow before we left for town.

Rehearsal went off well, even if the bass soloist was more than a bit woofy ("pick a note"); the others were good and the orchestra sounded fine. Tat had pride of place behind the double-bassoon (though, less fortunately, beside the bass soloist) while I was in the back row.

This morning I was up early(-ish) and leapt into the garden. I dismantled the compost heap and reassembled it using some of the lovely pea straw. Then I proceeded to mulch the beans and the garden bed outside the window by the piano. I hope to mulch all the major beds before we set off for Adelaide so Kate is not faced with the responsibility of vigilant watering when the weather warms up (as it will no doubt do).

When I showered I discovered the hard way that Albertine (a rose currently rampant along the back fence) had viciously slashed my right forearm -- at least I have some proof that I have actually been working in the garden.

* See entry for 15 November, alas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home