Wednesday, December 24, 2003

After work on Monday I went to see BN in Footscray -- gave her the Waltraud Meier DVD which I think she will really enjoy. Then yesterday, on my day off (working on Sat) I had lunch with MG and then shopped at Reading's for last-minute gifts for DG and Mum. Ended up buying myself a copy of Quicksilver, by Neal Stephenson -- will keep me out of mischief for a while: it's a biggie.

This morning was spent roasting the chook for tomorrow as well as making summer pudding and potato salad. Then into town to buy cake for LJ's birthday. On the way I thought I'd give myself a treat by updating my mobile so dropped into the Telstra shop in Elizabeth.

I explained to the man that I wanted to update my phone, so he called to get details of my account. I had to speak to the guy who asked me my password, which after so many years I had forgotten; then he asked for my date of birth, my address, my home phone number and my middle name. He then informed me that Telstra's records had my birthdate wrong by one month; to correct their records they have to sight proof of it, ie a driver's licence, passport or birth certificate. Not having a licence I was unable to do this. I did, however have to show the salesman my work ID card.

I thought that it would be plain sailing from there, but when he hung up on the accounts person, the salesman then told me that for an upgrade he would have to insist on seeing proof of my birthdate...

At this stage I calmly (yes, calmly) said to him that it was all obviously too difficult, and left.

I cannot see why I should provide Telstra with licence/passport/birth certificate -- all I want to do is upgrade my phone. I have an existing account, which must date back at least twenty years; the mistake in their records is theirs, as I would never give anyone a birthdate which made me any older than I am. And I was able to prove I was me, so what's their problem?

At work I discovered that LJ, who recently got a new phone, was rung up by Optus offering her a new phone as she had been a long-time customer. When she accepted, they sent it to her by mail.

Working tonight, but probably only until 10pm (or even earlier) as tomorrow's paper will be v small.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home