Wednesday, December 03, 2003

Sunday's Gloriana concert went off well, though we were all a bit pooped at the end of it. The Josquin had a few shaky moments, but the consensus from out front was that it sounded good. Afterwards we reassembled and Ken Irwin (from The Age) took pictures for next year's publicity. It was good to see P & B there; it was B's first outing for some time.

Was sick yesterday with a tummy bug so spent most of the day lying about catching up with taped TV shows and being generally somnolent. Last night there was the most tremendous storm - it started lightning and thundering (lightning-ing?) through the evening and then, before I went to bed, it started to rain fairly gently. However not long after I got to bed it started to pelt down, while continuing with the son-et-lumière show. If anything, it seemed to get harder over time until it turned into hail. I fell asleep in the middle of this somehow comforting racket.

When I got up this morning and looked out the back I was surprised that the decking was dry. Not until later did I turn on the radio and find out that much of Melbourne had suffered badly from this storm; Station Street in Fairfield (which is not too far away) was badly flooded, with many shops experiencing bad water damage. People were also rescued from cars on the Eastern Freeway.

It all reminds me of February 1972 and the floods in Elizabeth Street: I was working at the GBRE Bookshop in the PB Shoes building in Bourke Street at the time, and in my lunch-hour went over to Myer's. Standing on the bridge between the Bourke and Lonsdale Street stores I looked westward and saw a Mini floating down towards Flinders Street... astonishing!

Let's hope that some of last night's rain ended up in the right places, such as catchment areas, reservoirs, etc.

About lunchtime I had a call from BM who's out here for a fortnight before heading back to London. Won't be able to catch up in person but had a nice little chat and he expressed the hope that he and K might see me there in the new year. We'll see...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home