Friday, February 23, 2007

A big milestone

Yesterday the builders came to replace my back doors. They were damaged by the hacking they received when the last burglar jemmied them to gain entrance. The guys arrived early yesterday so I went up to Smith St for breakfast and the paper at Gypsy Bar leaving them to the job.

Then for lunch I went up to Northcote to catch up with DC whom I hadn't seen for a very long time. It was great to see him again and we spent a couple of hours having lunch, interrupted by much chatting. He and CN seem really well (CN turned up later in the day). We won't leave it quite so long before next time.

Then it was back home before heading off for German class - the guys were just finishing up and the doors, having had a final coat of stain, look very nice. Had a quick Indian meal with D&A before D and I headed off to class.

Today was quite a big day at work. We had a party this afternoon to celebrate the fact that JL and I have worked there for 30 years... yes, 30. It was a lovely do; we had invited around 70 people, and although not all we invited could make it there were plenty we hadn't asked who filled up the numbers.

We were both given a fairly substantial swag of merchandise including a bag (of course), a T-shirt and an umbrella - let's see how quickly I can lose it.

It's been an interesting 30 years. I doubt I would have stayed so long if I hadn't been enjoying myself; I've worked with a great lot of people. The work has changed so much in 30 years the job is unrecognisable compared with the one I started in; the technological changes have been extraordinary, both in the production side of things and the archiving systems.

And while I certainly won't be there for another 10 years (perhaps 5), I can't say I regret any of the past 30 years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home