Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Feeling much better

The cold has virtually gone, and was not really very bad; I was able to sing at the St John's rehearsal on Friday and certainly gave more last night at the Gloriana rehearsal. But I still have an annoying cough (I nearly wrote "annoying couch" - my couch is less comfortable than it used to be, but I'd hardly call it annoying).

On Saturday P and DG and I went to see Terence Malick's latest film, The new world, a too-long retelling of the John Smith/Pocahontas story (thought she was never called that in the film). While beautiful to look at, showing the full devastation of the almost-failed settlement, it tried to make too much of a very slight plot indulging in meditative voice-overs giving the main characters a chance to express their doubts and misgivings. It made good use of the prelude to Das Rheingold in the opening sequence, but spoilt the effect by reusing the music later in the film.

On Sunday evening P&B came for dinner which was Stephanie's beef casserole and was delicious. I made some delicious quince paste which we enjoyed after dinner.

In German tonight we touched on the subjunctive - the tensions from last week's class (which I was told about by M) seemed (almost) non-existent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home