Monday, February 20, 2006

Music and food

On Saturday Tat and I went to Trinity chapel to hear the Danish choir, Camerata, who are touring Australia. In Melbourne they were billeted with members of Ensemble Gombert, most of whom were at Saturday's concert.

They grabbed me with their first piece, a popular Danish hymn setting of words by Hans Christian Andersen, and continued to impress with their beauty of tone, reliable pitch and musical variety. Outanding was a piece by Sven-David Sandström, a contemporary Swedish composer, which takes Purcell's Hear my prayer, O lord and elaborates the desolation and despair in that work. It was one of the most amazing and moving pieces I have heard. And I want to sing it.

This extraordinary concert was followed by supper supplied by the Gomberts.

Then yesterday morning it was off to Mum's for lunch, something I had missed for the last two weeks. I took her B's copy of Bypass, by Michael McGirr which I'm sure she'll enjoy - I certainly did.

Last night P&B came for dinner, joined by DG, fresh back from his business trip to Frankfurt. He seemed pleased with the trip and is off next week to Sydney, so his frequent-flyer points will be adding up. I cooked Tashreeb Dijaj, chicken pot-roast from Iraq and served it with spinach and rice. A pleasant end to the weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home