Tuesday, October 21, 2003

MUSIC

If you asked someone who knows me who my favourite composer is they'd probably say Wagner. If you asked me who my favourite composer was I'd have to equivocate; yes, Wagner is up there, but there are so many I love, and even more that I just like a lot.

Let's just start with a random of list of people who have at least one work to their credit that means something to me.

In no particular order: Monteverdi, Weber, Marschner, Rossini, Grainger, Bernstein, Strauss (Richard), Wagner, Humperdinck, Lortzing, Brahms, Dvorak, Schubert, Schumann, Britten, Glazunov, Bach, Mozart.

But then I also love musicals - I don't know a lot, but some that I do know and love are: any of Sondheim (and I don't know them all), Bernstein's Candide (West Side Story less so), On the Twentieth Century, as well as Showboat and most of Rodgers and Hammerstein. However NOT Lloyd Webber or Les Mis -- I've never found them anything but tedious. Oh, and any Gilbert and Sullivan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home