Friday, October 17, 2003

This morning went to the clinic to pick up more of the nasal spray which is supposed to bring back my much depleted sense of smell (sometimes I think it's working, sometimes not). When I walked into the waiting area there was B, also waiting for pharmacy. He was looking great - as his father said, it was the first time I'd seen him clothed for quite a while.

Later P and I went to the State Library to see the interesting exhibition photos by Morley, including the famous one of Christine Keeler on the chair. Had a quick lunch at the "Blade Runner" restaurant then went back to the library for a tour -- unfortunately the tour I wanted to go on, of the new Arts section, is no longer being offered, so we just took the normal one of the services. We finished in the domed reading room; it has certainly been restored beautifully.

FRANK'S RANT - ESCALATORS

Number one in an irregular series.

The escalator is a wonderful invention allowing for the mass movement of people faster and safer than stairs. Unfortunately many people have absolutely no idea how to behave on them.

People are either standers or walkers on escalators and that's fine; I prefer to walk. My problem manifests when standers choose to stand on the right-hand side of the step instead of keeping to the left (surely most people drive; surely when they drive, they keep to the left; surely it makes sense to do this in a pedestrian situation (I feel another RANT coming on)). This is especially annoying at peak times when I (and others) prefer to move in an orderly manner down the right-hand of the escalator.

What's as annoying as a stander in the right lane is the walker who stops just as the escalator is reaching the top, thus causing those following to slam on the brakes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home