Saturday, June 25, 2011

More museums and fun

I spent a good part of yesterday at the fascinating Museum of London, near the Barbican. Starting with a pre-historic outline of the site it covers from the stone- and bronze-ages, through Roman occupation up to the present day. There are plenty of interactive displays and a huge amount of material covering all aspects of the history of London.

In the afternoon I dropped past TKTS again and got my self a cheap ticket to see Dominic West (McNulty from The Wire) playing the lead in Butley, written by Simon Gray in 1971. Despite its age the play really isn't as creaky as I expected and West and his supporting cast (including Withnail and I's I, Paul McGann) provided much food for thought in this story of a self-destructive lecturer.

This morning, acting on a Facebook comment from Tat, I went down to West India Wharf and visited the Museum of London's Docklands museum - a very well put together presentation of British mercantile shipping, slavery and the development and re- of the London docklands .

Then this evening I met up with KM, BM, and several of their friends for drinks and dinner at the Knights Templar, an ex-bank now a pub in Chancery Lane. As expected for a Friday night it was packed but we managed to find a quiet room. Much fun was had by all.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home