Friday, June 10, 2011

Art and coffee

Yesterday I had an early breakfast at one of the many local eateries after which I set off for the Tate Modern. They had an interesting retrospective exhibition of works by Joan MirĂ³ - of particular interest was a pair of huge triptychs which I found extraordinarily beautiful.

After walking back across Hungerford Bridge I dropped in at the National Gallery, but didn't stay long before heading back to the flat.

Had a slight problem in the morning with the plug in the bathroom basin getting stuck; the shower doors are pretty useless too, so I called the main office. They said they'd send someone to fix it. Of course when I got home, there was no sign of anyone being there.

This morning I headed off to the British Library to see a quite interesting history of science fiction, mostly illustrated with copies of books discussed in the accompanying texts, some of which were quite fascinating. After having a look at some of the other highlights of the BL collection I wandered down Farringdon Road to Clerkenwell where I had lunch at St Ali, the London branch of the South Melbourne-based coffee merchants. The food was good and the coffee was the best I've had since home. A brief visit to Covent Garden and then home.

When I got back to the flat the maintenance man still hadn't been so I sauntered round to the main office. The nice woman on the desk, who looked as if she was having an awful day, rang to discover that there was someone there working on it. So I thanked her and quietly headed off to Bayswater to buy a bottle of wine to take to AL/AG's tonight, where I am going for dinner. How long it's going to take to get to Lewisham I have no idea, but it'll be a visit to somewhere I've never been before.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home