Sunday, June 12, 2011

An old friend and sore feet

Yesterday I re-acquainted myself with the British Museum, though was disappointed to see that you can no longer get in to see the Reading Room. But I had a nice wander around the Egyptian and other antiquities (not all of them in cases).

Afterwards I popped around the corner to Russell Square where I met up with Polly M, who I last saw in Brittany with P&B. It was lovely to see her and she took me to a very nice Anatolian restaurant where we had a very satisfying lunch and did lots of chatting. After lunch we went to a pretty good little place for (proper) coffee and more talk.

This morning I went down to Greenwich to visit the old Naval College and the National Maritime Museum. Lots of fascinating exhibits and also lots of work being done to prepare some of the surrounding land for next year's Olympic shindig.

After the NMM I trudged up the hill to the Royal Observatory and had a good look through there, enjoying the view across the top of the glorious Wren buildings below to the less-than-glorious splendours of Canary Wharf and the Jubilee Dome.

On the way back to the station I dropped in at the Greenwich Market where amongst a staggering range of food stalls I found myself some lunch; I had a rather nice cheese and spinach pie.

I fell as if I've earned a nap today ... that's a very steep hill up to the Observatory.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home