Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I'm back ...

Sorry all, I've been neglecting you. I'm back now and will try to post more regularly.

Over the past few weeks I've spent a bit of time going to Mum's twice a week changing the dressing on her leg. She's fine and the ulcer is healing remarkably well - the last time her doctor saw her he was surprised at how well it was doing and doesn't want to see her for a while.

Last week P&B and I went to Melbourne Opera's performance of Bellini's I Puritani. It wasn't bad; Joanna Cole managed the coloratura well although her top notes had an unfortunate tendency to shrillness. Roy Best (he of Operatunity Oz) made quite a good fist of his role although the voice is a lot smaller than I expected. He fluffed one of his top D-flats quite badly, but managed the written top F (!) with a good falsetto. The rest of the cast were excellent, particularly the men. Overall the performance was musically good, the orchestra playing well under the baton of Richard Divall.

Gloriana rehearsals have started - we're performing the Rachmanninof Vespers, a wonderful work which I think will be enjoyed by all of you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home