Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Moments musicaux

In my annoyance at the weekend's unauthorised entry I forgot to mention a couple of very enjoyable musical experiences I had last week.

On Friday night I went with B&P to hear Ravel's L'enfant et les sortileges superbly played by the MSO with a great group of singers headed by Sumi Jo. It was such a treat to hear this magical score played and sung so well. The concert began with Leopold Mozart's eminently forgettable Toy symphony (why on earth do they bother?) followed by Wolfgang Mozart's wonderful Prague symphony; the son's piece well and truly making up for the father's embarrassment.

Then on Saturday DG took me to see Opera Australia's production of Mozart's Marriage of Figaro. Neil Armfield's clever direction made this a very funny and ultimately extremely satisfying night of music, love and life. Splendid.

1 Comments:

Blogger Niki said...

I missed the Toy Symphony as I was still trying to find a place to park at 8pm - sounds like I didn't miss much. The Ravel was splendid; loved it!
Saw Julius Caesar last night - what an incredible score that is, and such demands on the singers!

11:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home