Sunday, September 11, 2005

A grand day out (but a noisy night in)

Yesterday was close to perfect. I went to B&P's and we went to the farmers' market where I bought a few little things. We dropped our packages at their place and returned to the Convent for the Slow Food Festival. We had lunch in the refectory after it started raining - we each had a different meal (mine was a rather nice sausage on polenta with a yummy mushroom sauce) and managed to score a free dessert which we shared.

After a quick trip home to leave my produce P, LE and I set out for Carlton where we saw the latest Wallace and Gromit film, The curse of the were-rabbit which was great fun. I embarrassed myself (and perhaps the others) by laughing loud and long at all the outrageous puns.

Then it was back to P&B's for a delicious dinner of potato and leek soup, vegetable lasagne and exceptionally nice passionfruit icecream before I walked LE home. As I had St John's this morning I was in bed by 10.30.

Only to be woken around 3am by the noise of drumming (DRUMMING! ... at 3am!) in the park. When I peeked through the blinds I could see people juggling flames (or whizzing flaming pots around on strings). I decided they were either stoned hippies, crazed ferals or gay circus folk. Whoever they were, I decided to grasp the nettle and put on my (rather daggy) dressing gown and went into the park.

There I suggested (very politely, I must insist to those who know me well) to one of the women playing with fire that there might well be people in the houses around the park who did not appreciate drumming in the middle of the night, and that some of those people might actually have to work in the morning.

She agreed, a little reluctantly I thought, and said they'd "keep the noise down". I went back home and back to bed. But of course while the drumming stopped, the loud talk and laughter continued for some time and I didn't get back to sleep for some time.

I was up around 7.15 and NT picked me up for the St John's cantata which went off quite well (with the most wonderful noise of four trumpets). Then I headed out to Mum's for lunch; after lunch it was on to work. So the weekend has been mostly good (except for the noises in the night, and the work).

1 Comments:

Blogger postmodest said...

Dear Frank, As usual I loved reading your blog. I just want to point out that four trumpets on a sunday morning might have woken one of the carnival folk so perhaps there is justice (or Karma?) in the world. Au revoir from du Canada.

12:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home