Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Last night I met P after work and we made our way to Windsor where we met B and had a quick meal before heading to The Astor to see Jour de fĂȘte of Jacques Tati. I wanted to see it after reading Adrian Martin's gushing review of Playtime in The Age. I mis-remembered and thought he'd raved about Jour de fĂȘte; it didn't matter -- it was still fun. Not excruciatingly so, except in the sequence where Tati, as the drunk postman, tries to mount his bicycle but keeps throwing his leg over a fence which he's walking by at the time. I nearly wet myself.

Made in 1949 it was filmed in Sainte-Severe-sur-Indre in central France, not a particularly pretty town, but the film provides a fascinating illustration of post-war French country life. The version we saw was in colour, not released until 1995, though it was fairly primitive.

We decided not to see the second film on the program, Playtime and caught a cab home.

I still have not been able to get rid of the worm on the computer -- the file LM gave me yesterday did nothing. He's given me another to try. We'll see.

This morning I dropped a couple of videos round for P&B then went for a ride in the park; the weather has been glorious. Then to work at 3.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home