Thursday, September 17, 2009

Catch up

Long-term readers of this blog will know that the end of my left index is now permanently numb. Well, now I'm having similar problems with my right little finger. I saw the doctor yesterday: the upshot is that we'll leave it for a week to see if it settles (it is improving slightly) and then perhaps investigate further with a scan and/or a visit to the orthopaedic surgeon.

Anyway, enough of whingeing - I've been busy. On Saturday night I went to the Ensemble Gombert concert: they sang works by 20th and 21st century composers. The latest works were world premieres by Peter Campbell, Vaughan McAlley and Calvin Bowman. It was a wonderful night of fascinating music and great to catch up with all the members of the choir.

This was followed on Sunday afternoon my singing in a most satisfying Gloriana concert in which the major work was Alfred Schnittke's Choir Concerto. It is an extraordinarily complex work - I like to think of the style as a cross between Rachmanninof (of the Vespers) and Sandstrom, the Swedish composer whose Agnus Dei we performed last year. We were all exhausted at the end, but in a good way.

On Monday night it was straight back into rehearsal - for the opening concert of the Melbourne Spring Early Music festival in which the major work will be Brumel's Earthquake Mass, a wonderful, crazy (but in a good way) work. A bonus is that ST is joining us for the concert, as he is not going on the Gombert tour.

On Tuesday, after a nice catch up lunch with MG, I met BN in town where we booked Business class tickets for Britain. Then yesterday I met the agent to arrange the sale of Mum's unit.

My calendar for the next few weeks is filling up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home