Monday, October 08, 2007

Giggling at the opera

On Thursday I dropped in to see BN in hospital after her partial hip replacement; she wasn't too happy and was in quite a bit of pain. I dropped in again on Friday after work, but her door was closed so I tiptoed away.

Instead of shopping on Saturday I was working - I got in at 8am so was able to leave at 4pm. It was fairly quiet so I managed to get quite a bit done. After work I met up with B&S and B's father BS at the Park hotel for a quick meal before we bused into town to the Athaeneum to see Melbourne Opera's production of Rossini's The Italian girl in Algiers.

Sally Anne Russell was a great Italian girl - in fact almost all the principals were top notch, with a special mention going to David Gould as Mustafa. The production (sung in English), of what is a very silly piece, kept everything moving along; the sets were minimal but effective and the only disappointment was the rather geriatric male chorus, some of whom looked as if they weren't quite sure where they were. Some wonderful singing and well-articulated patter songs left me laughing, especially at the end of act one.

On Sunday, after a tasty dinner at Mum's, I dropped in at the Epworth again to see BN. This time she was very much improved and even got out of bed and walked around, with her walking frame, while I was there. She was in good spirits and starts her physio today.

This morning, the first of my week's leave, I went to the Mediterranean Wholesalers in Brunswick where I bought some reggiano and a few other goodies to take up to DG in Newstead tomorrow. On the way home I stopped in Carlton and bought myself the new Ruth Rendell and a recording of Wolf's Italienisches Liederbuch. Then this afternoon I took the laptop up to LE's to let her have a play around with it - she's thinking of buying and I'm more than happy to help her make her mind up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home