Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Tale of a laptop

A couple of weeks ago, on the advice of the knowledgable JW, I ordered a laptop from a company I will call X. I plan to set up a wireless network so I can use the laptop in the lounge, instead of having to retire to the study every time I want to check something.

I ordered and paid for it online and last Monday I got an email from X to say that the laptop had been dispatched via Y Express for overnight delivery. I gave my work address, where I have received any number of parcels in the past.

Tuesday (and Wednesday) came and went with no delivery. On Thursday I rang Y Express and spoke to a very nice lady who said she would run a check. She called me back on Friday morning to say she could find no record of the item. Later on Friday I called X and, after being left in a queue for 20 minutes only to be finally transferred to a voicemail box, spoke to a young man who said he would look into it and call me back.

Which of course he didn't.

I rang X again yesterday and spoke to another young man who put me on hold while he called Y, though without waiting for me to give him the nice lady's direct number. He told me that X would have to wait until Y declared the item lost before they would dispatch a replacement.

Today I rang Y again and was told by the ever-nice lady that no-one had spoken to her and there was no record of any calls about the item. Another call to X had me speaking to yet another young man (though, on second thoughts, it might have been the first one I spoke to - who knows?) who took the nice lady's number and promised to get back to me promptly.

I waited, not very hopefully.

Well, he's just called and informed me that, as I suspected, nice lady has a couple more days of checking before Y can declare the item lost. So I probably won't get a replacement this side of the Commonwealth Games.

Sigh. That'll teach me for wanting a new toy to play with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home