Thursday, May 06, 2010

Health update

Today I went back to the health centre to get the results of my last set of tests. These are the first tests after I decided last year to stop taking the Lipitor for my high cholesterol. Since I retired I've changed my daily routine to include a 30-minute walk (usually to or from a nice cup of coffee) and am having oats for breakfast most mornings. As well, I have found that not working makes it very much easier to control what I eat for lunch and have been eating much more sensibly.

Today's results were not as good as I'd hoped for, but much better than I'd expected. The cholesterol level is up a bit, but not as high as it has been; strangely there were no results for the "good" cholesterol, HDL, so we don't know the ratio of HDL to LDL, which is a useful measure - we'll make sure we get them next time. Blood glucose was fine; however the liver function was up slightly - the doctor thinks this could be as a result of the bad cold I had in the week before the blood test.

My blood pressure was slightly elevated and we've made an appointment for a catch-up appointment in six weeks time when we'll check it again, possibly with several readings.

All in all, quite an encouraging result.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Anthony Holmes said...

What a shame you didn't get the ratio. When I took up more exercise and a better diet I found that my cholesterol values only seemed to have changed a little, but the ratio (which is the better predictor) seemed to have improved much more. So maybe things are even better than you realise... Something to look forward to next time!

9:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home