Thursday, February 19, 2004

Dinner with M, D and L last night was a delicious, if pungent, tomato and anchovy risotto. I said that if I had a partner I'd be in trouble after eating such a meal as I could still taste the anchovies and the raw onion from the salad at the end of the evening. This comment about partners later set me thinking about my unattachedness (these musings occurred at some weird hour of the morning when I woke and was temporarily sleepless).

I've always set greater store by friendships than romantic entwinements and maybe this is because I've never had much experience in matters of the heart. A quick inventory has me recalling around four or five relationships that lasted more than a few months, one of which I was very glad to finish. I remained on reasonable terms with all but one (same one).

I'm happy with my own company and as long as I have regular contact with friends, which is thankfully inevitable living as close as I do to some of them, I don't feel any great lacuna in my life. Some may say I don't know what I'm missing, and perhaps I don't, but there's no gaping hole, no unfilled yearning, no desperate need for an "other". This is not to say that I would rebuff anyone who was interested (and interesting), but since I'm not out there looking, it's unlikely.

Enough of this guff: it was great catching up with M, D & L last night, even if the DVD of the first series ofThe Office I borrowed is still in their player (I've got the case, though). L drove me home on the promise of The Office Christmas Special (also part 1).

------------------------------
Listening to: Beethoven late string quartets; Assassins
Reading: Charles Darwin: Voyaging by Janet Browne

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home