Thursday, September 21, 2006

Sunny, warm London

On Monday Tat and I made our way to the Globe, the reconstruction of Shakespeare's theatre. It was fascinating, not only the tour through the theatre, but also the extensive exhibition setting out the history of the idea and its realisation. It would be nice to see a performance but I'm not sure time allows.

After that we went next door to the Tate Modern. Unfortunately the current installation in the turbine hall had been dismantled and they were working on the new one (which no doubt we can catch in October). But we wandered around the top floor of new acquisitions and saw some fascinating pieces. It was packed.

Tuesday Tat went to Bath for the day. I went with her to Victoria bus station then wandered around to the Apollo Theatre where I stood in the queue for tickets to "Wicked". Then I went into the west end to check out the shops (books, CDs, DVDs and music) finding a few things I may have to go back and buy some time.

In the evening I went off to "Wicked" - it's a terrific show, based on the life of the wicked witch of the west and Glinda from "The Wizard of Oz". It ties in the details of the film but manages to put a completely different slant on the events. It also works on a number of levels addressing such issues as abuse of power, control of information and the demonisation of whistleblowers (yes, really). Some fun songs and terrific performances made for a thoroughly enjoyable night.

Yesterday I had lunch with AC at the cafe at the Wallace Collection (I should go back and have a look at the museum). It was lovely to catch up with him; he seems to be enjoying his job at the Wigmore but I don't know where he finds the time to do everything.

The weather here continues amazingly warm - 27 is predicted for today! I'm planning to go to Kew Gardens to have a look around; I haven't been there for thirty years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home